1202 H.L. Ford Drive Fostoria, Ohio Phone: 419-436-4125 Fax: 419-436-4169
Grades 3-6 - School Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Tera Matz, Principal
Rick Renz, Asst. Principal
“What would be possible if our school were filled with students who were responsible, who showed initiative, who were creative, who knew how to set goals and meet them, who got along with people of various backgrounds/cultures, and who could resolve conflicts and solve problems?” -theleaderinme.org.
This is the vision we have for all of our students at Fostoria Intermediate—to grow as leaders both in and out of the classroom, celebrating the differences amongst all of us, allowing each and every student to reach their true potential. The Leader in Me process provides our school with the vision and language to lead in a way that addresses all areas of development. As each child discovers and develops his/her unique gifts and talents, they have opportunities to lead. Throughout our second year of implementation, FIES staff and students will continue growing in the 7 Habits of the Leader in Me Program. Last year our focus was on introducing the language of the 7 Habits into our building’s culture and providing students more opportunities for leadership. While we will continue to refine these areas, our focus for this year will be integrating these habits into our instruction focusing on the impact the 7 Habits have on academic achievement. We will also be focusing on Synergizing with families in order to bring the 7 Habits into your homes and our community!
As partners, we share the responsibility for our students’ success and want you to know that we will do our very best to carry out our responsibilities. We ask that you guide and support your child’s learning by ensuring that he/she:
1) Is Proactive and attends school daily, arrives on time, ready for the day’s learning experience
2) Puts First Things First by completing all homework assignments given by teachers
3) Sharpens the Saw by reading daily to develop a love for reading and to improve literacy skills
4) Shares school experiences with you so that you are aware of his/her school life so you can Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood
5) Is Proactive and informs you if he/she needs additional support in any area or subject
6) Begins With the End in Mind and knows that you expect him/her to succeed in school
We also ask that you please consider volunteering at FIES as all of our students can greatly benefit from your involvement. These opportunities will help our families and school continue to build positive relationships. While volunteer time is not mandatory, it is strongly encouraged, and vital to our student's academic success. Along with opportunities to volunteer, we also encourage parents and families to contribute ideas or suggestions for classroom or building activities. We believe aligning the family and school will benefit students, families, teachers, and the greater community. FIES believes the earlier in a student's education process a parent gets involved, the more powerful the effects. We seek volunteers to help us with the following activities:
1) Teacher-led instructional support, usually in the classroom
2) Reading /Math activities with children who need extra help
3) School-wide events
4) Student recognition events
5) Outreach and recruitment of parent and community volunteers
6) Cafeteria & playground monitoring